[Salt-l] Summer SALTer Adventures
The Social Action Leadership Team (SALT) is the Spirit-led social justice ministry of the Chapel of the Resurrection at Valparaiso University in which students in community seek to embody the Christian call to be the ‘salt of the earth’ (Matthew 5:13).
Pastor James Wetzstein,
Do you need any further assistance with setting up the Google Group?
ITicket ID: 344
Department: Technical Services
Status: In Progress
Valpo IT staff will never ask for your password in an email.
Please don't ever email your password to anyone or share confidential information in emails.
Let me call to your attention an opportunity for Fall 2014. THEO 481-A Basic Homily Preparation.The class will meet Wednesdays only, 8:00-8:50AM, in the library at the Center for Diaconal Ministry on LaPorte Avenue. Professor John Nunes will lead the class.
You will have an opportunity to share a homily with the community that gathers for worship at 7:00AM Wednesdays at the LDA. Though it is not limited to that venue. This class is also valuable to anyone who may, in their vocation, be called upon to communicate the gospel to others. You do not need to be a theology major or minor, or deacon/deaconess student.Questions? Contact me or Professor Nunes.MWB
Basic Homily Preparation THEO-481-A Cr. 1. A basic introduction to methods of preparing and delivering biblical, liturgical homilies in a variety of worship settings. This course may not be counted toward the theology major or minor. It may be repeated for a maximum of two credits, and is offered on an S/U basis. Prerequisite: junior or senior standing.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: LVC Recruitment <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Subject: LVC - Still accepting applicants for a year of service!
Do you know any recent graduates who are wondering "what's next"?Would they like to put their degree toward working for social justice in a non-profit setting?
Lutheran Volunteer Corps has 7 positions available for the upcoming year and we would appreciate your help in spreading the word to find qualified applicants!Please have anyone who is interested e-mail email@example.com for an application. Interested applicants need to apply to the LVC program as a whole, NOT directly to the placements organization(s). The year of service runs from August 9, 2014 to July 26, 2015.Lutheran Volunteer Corps is a faith-based, full-time service and leadership program operating in 13 cities across the United States. Our mission is to unite people to work for peace with justice. We do this by placing Volunteers in full-time positions at social justice organizations for one year. All our volunteers live together in community and practice simple and sustainable living. LVC offers all Volunteers housing, health insurance, two weeks vacation, a modest living stipend and additional training throughout the year. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Positions available (you may read more details on LVC's Idealist page):
- Network for Victim Recovery of DC (NVRDC) - Case Management Program Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Empowering crime victims through direct work with clients, advocacy, community outreach and other projects.
- National Council of La Raza – Policy Fellow, Washington, D.C.
- The largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States, works to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans.
- Habitat for Humanity New Castle County – Restore Volunteer Liaison, Wilmington, DE
- Focusing on Volunteer participation and growth for Habitat’s affordable home building program
- Ministry of Caring – Communications Assistant, Wilmington, DE
- Develop content, research, interview, and write/edit communications materials to support the Ministry of Caring's mission to help the poor.
- Lutheran World Relief - Program Assistant for Creative Services and Marketing, Baltimore, MD
- LWR has been providing relief and development around the globe for 65 years. This position supports the unit’s efforts to provide leadership in communication strategy and key message development.
- Girls in the Game – Program Specialist for After School, Chicago, IL
- Coaching girls and building relationships with 5 program sites throughout Chicago
- Chicago Community Loan Fund - Program Assistant , Chicago, IL
- Bring critical and substantive support to the mission to provide low-cost, flexible financing to community development organizations engaged in affordable housing, economic development and social service initiatives.in peace,~Elizabeth Flomo
We'll meet at Tuesday at 9 am at the Union Loading docs
All Expenses Paid Week in New York for Young Activists
Are you between the ages of 21-35? Is your social justice activism an extension or expression of your faith or do you consider it to be your spiritual expression? Are you an activist looking to connect with other young leaders, reflect on your work and explore practices that allow you to be grounded and centered in order to sustain your work? Want to spend a week in New York with all expenses paid?
*We thought so.
This summer, Union Theological Seminary will host a small group of young leaders for an intense, one-week conference that looks at the connections between activism and faith. No need to be religious, just open to the exploration. Union will pay all expenses for those invited to attend.
We're looking for leaders with a demonstrated record of sustained social justice activism in their community, with experience in a religious community, a non-profit organization, a political campaign, or anywhere that demonstrates a dedication to progressive leadership.
The conference will run from July 13-17, at Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York.
*(Not you? As a friend of Union, you probably know someone who fits this description. Forward them this email—they'll thank you for it!)