[Salt-l] SALT Minutes 11/17/15
The Social Action Leadership Team (SALT) is the Spirit-led social justice ministry of the Chapel of the Resurrection at Valparaiso University in which students in community seek to embody the Christian call to be the ‘salt of the earth’ (Matthew 5:13).
Hello SATLers!Thank you for a great voting meeting! I'm looking forward to this coming week's meeting (which will be at 9:15) as we decide what our project will be for the rest of the year.Before this coming Tuesday, please reread all of the applications taking note of what the project is really about and what the application is asking for. As before, please keep these things in mind:
- Budget- What are they using the money for? Is what they have asked for reasonable? Would you feel comfortable asking people to support a campaign based on this budget?
- Sustainability- Will this project have a lasting impact? Will this project be able to be sustained/supported/funded by the organization in years to come?
- SALT's mission- Does this project fit SALT's mission to be the salt of the earth and help bring positive change to communities?
- Passion- Is this something that you are passionate about? Is this a project you feel you could genuinely advocate for and promote?
- Communication/Organization- Will it be easy to communicate with this organization? Do you feel that this organization will be able to use our money in the way they have asked for and use it wisely?Read the applications and check out the websites. The interviews are 10 minutes long and you will have five minutes to ask questions.I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday at 9:15 as we choose our WRC!Blessings,Katie
--Katie BernabeiValparaiso University Class of 2016Candlelight Mission and Vision CoordinatorSALT World Relief Campaign Chair
In support of the people of France and all who suffer violence, the Chapel of the Resurrection will host a silent candlelight vigil of prayers for peace and healing in the Gloria Christi Chapel.
Saturday, November 14 7 p.m. - 8 p.m.
All are welcome.
A condolence book will be available at the Chapel for members of the Valpo community to sign during these three days of official French mourning. Plans are to send this book of our prayers to the French Consulate in Chicago on Tuesday, November 17, 2015.
Happy Tuesday! Here is what we discussed during this meeting! Just a reminder that this week and next week we will probably go late due to the fruitful discussions about the WRC. It will be worth it :)
Passion Group Events:
-Suicide Prevention group on Nov. 18—speaker is going to be there and games in the cafe
-Childhood Cancer group: corn-hole for two dollars
-Infrastructure—meet at 8:15 am on Saturday to help with yard work in the community
-Our Greater Good Volunteering: we need 5-7 volunteers
-Civic Reflection Saturday at 10:30 am
-Spring Break Service Trips are half full—apply as a participant or student leader valpo.edu/volunteer
World Relief Campaign:
What the WRC does?
-Raise $30,000 or more
-Change people's lives!
Tips for looking at the applications
Another Child Foundation
Children to Love
DBSK Girl's Degree College
Kid's Alive International
Promise Relief and Human Development
Water to Thrive
Top Three Winners!!
-DBSK Girl's College
-Promise Relief and Human Development
-Water to Thrive
Look at their website and application because we are going to interview them next week!!
Thanks guys! Have a good night!
SALT-l mailing list
to unsubscribe use the following link (you will have to enter the email address used to subscribe--try your valpo address)
Less than two weeks till Thanksgiving Break! It's the exciting time of the year where we transition from Passion Groups to the World Relief Campaign, and I hope that y'all are pumped to begin the selection process for the WRC tomorrow! If you could take a minute and fill out this survey about Passion Groups, I would greatly appreciate it. We will use the feedback to better next year's program and reflect on how this year's program went as well. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtfulness!