Blast from the past on 4.25.06
Hi, Everyone :)
Here are the minutes from our meeting tonight in the Undercroft
(oh the memories... :))
Thank you, Jill, for getting us off to a great start!
Reflections from the Weekend:
- Earth Day BBQ was a big success! Definitely check out the
other events listed in the announcements, as they are going to
be great as well!
- Unity Ball and Coffeehouse were a lot of fun! We will look
forward to hearing how much was raised for WRC at each.
- Habitat for Humanity is hosting a Benefit Basketball Game
this Friday to help support their work here at VU. Kirsten is
playing in the game, as are Prof. Whitefield, Prof. Hoffman,
Prof. Zigman, Coach Chip Taylor, and others. It costs $2 at
the door, so please come out if you can! It will be a great
time, and hopefully Kirsten will do SALT proud :)
- Here are the upcoming events for Earth Week:
- Seniors, sign the Green Pledge tomorrow in Mueller or
Friday in Gellersen.
- Thursday night at 8 pm in Neils 234, there will be a
speaker from the Green Party here to speak. It should be very
interesting, so come out to hear it!
- There is an Amnesty International Group forming on campus, as
it has been approved to get started! Look for an upcoming
event led by Kristen Thomas in the next few days!
- Tomorrow is the National Day of Silence for those who are
Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual who do not feel they can talk about
their sexual orientation. Arm bands will be available in the
Union tomorrow to take part in the event, so please take part
in it if you can. It is a very humbling experience.
- Reaction from last week's advocacy:
- Visclosky - It was ok, but he really gave a run around
when asked about the immigration issue so hard to know where he
stands in the end.
- Bayr - We made a great connection, as they would love to
come out to talk to us in the future about the issue. He is
still trying to figure out his official position on the issue,
but this is definitely a connection to develop in the future
- Lugar - Amazing how easy it was to talk with the advisor
and get her to even come out to campus. We got our voices
heard, which is a great start!
- This issue is not going along party lines, which makes it a
great opportunity to get people on both sides to hear about the
different aspects of this controversial bill, without feeling
pressure from their specific party.
- Just an FYI: There is a minuteman group in Valpo called
IFIRE. They are being very diligent in working for this bill
to pass, which is something to watch out for in the coming days.
- Don't be afraid to get your voice heard!! These officials
want to hear from us!
- May 1 - National Boycott Day
- LIVE is hosting a walk from campus to the courthouse at
- wear white if you plan to march
- there will be marches around the world on this day, so
this is our opportunity to be a part of a local one
- Pizza party this Friday over the lunch hour in Berg, Union,
and the Chapel, and then also at the tennis tournament. Tell
your friends!! Only $1 a slice!
- Please use any extra meal card money you have to buys
balloons from Lank for the 5K.
- Phi Mu Alpha is hosting a coffeehouse for WRC this Saturday
night. Plan on going if you can! This is the second one they
are hosting for us in a semester, which is truly awesome!
- Thanks to all who signed up to help with the 5K run set-up.
If you were not at the meeting and can help in any way, please
contact Tezra Jennings or Greg Stock.
- The day to go to Maria Elena's to support WRC will be May 8,
as May 1 is the National Boycott Day.
- We raised $450 with the professor competition!
- $160 TODAY from the Liturgical Institute :) More to come
- Total as of right now.........drum roll....
$7572 (which does not include ALL money collected yet)
- Please come to Songfest this Sunday at 2 pm. Tickets are on
sale now at the Union and all proceeds go to...you guessed
it...WRC!! $2 a ticket
- Encourage people to turn in their 5K forms as soon as
possible so we know that more than 12 people are planning on
coming. Plus, they don't want to miss out on a t-shirt :)
- On Saturday at 8 am, if you want to make your car into a tap
tap bus, bring it on by and have paints to use.
- PLEASE tell Ty by next week if you have gotten any big
donations from businesses or individuals so that he can get a
thank you note to them soon. Also, if you are close to any
organization that has raised money for WRC, please try to get
us the total raised so we have an idea. Thanks!
- Please look for an end-of-the-year survey in an e-mail from
Megan this week! Feel free to fill it out beforehand and bring
it next week or be ready to fill it out at the meeting. We
REALLY value your feedback, as we want to continue to make SALT
an awesome organization, so get excited about a present in your
inbox sooner than later :)
That's all I have...hang in there, everyone, with all the
stress this time of year brings! The finish line is in sight!
See you next week for our last meeting of the year... :(
It will be fun :) 9:30 Gloria Christi Tuesday...you know it :)
Kappa Delta, President
SALT Secretary and Volunteer Coordinator